Monday, February 15, 2010

Quiet time!

So it took me so long to get him down for a nap today and when I finally did I had to take a picture because this is just so sweet!

So this is a post asking for a bit of advice for anyone who considers themselves a bit of an expert in the matter! Here is my dilemma with naps!!!

I have tried it all, no naps, shorter naps, earlier naps, letting him wake up on his term and this is what happens.

No naps = Restless all night long and up VERY early
Shorter naps = Grumpy Grumpy Grumpy until bed and then it is a late bed time by the time I get him down.
Earlier Naps= He could sleep the day away but then he does want to go down by about 9:30 at night and will sleep through the night! (however, I can't seem to get him to do this one that often.
His usual naps are about 3 hours long from 3-6PM= And then bed time is about 10:00-10:30 and is up early.

So with this said, I know my best option is to do the early nap however, how do I accomplish this???? I am up for some ideas ladies and even you dads can help me out with this one! As a mom I want to do what is best for my child but at the same time, I need SOME SLEEP too!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

I myself have given up on naps with my 2 year old. With an older sister to entertain though it makes it doable. I have found though that by skipping naps now we can go to bed earlier and they sleep later even! This did take a while to get used to though (with many bad nights and early mornings at the beginning). But that is what has worked for us. Sorry if it doesn't help you much! Love you!

Odelsa said...

I like to give the kids a nap around noon. normally I put Clay who is almost 2 and Colin who is 4 down for a nap at the same time. I try to get them into the routine. I do the same thing every single day. At first they don't want to but after a while it becomes the norm. Clay sleeps for about 3 hours but Colin just for 2.

I think you have to try whatever works best for you. Our kids are normally in bed by 7 or 7:30 pm.

Good luck!

The Swanson Family said...

by no means the expert as you can see by my post today - very funny we are posting on the same topic. however, things that I have read and found to be true: don't let them nap past 3:30pm and the earlier you put them to bed the later they get up. routine routine routine - get one and stick with it. it is hard at first, but pays off in the end. with adeline recently I have found that how you phrase "nap time" is very important. I say it is "quiet time" and she has an easier time with it. also, if you do give up on nap time make sure you still have an hour or so of quiet time - alone quiet time - read books on their bed for instance. say you don't have to sleep, but you need to be quiet on your bed for a while.
also, I have found that if you keep an eating schedule too that seems to help - not too full, not to hungry. they are really creatures of habit it seems.
this is just what I have found to be true and work most days for me.
good luck deary, hope this gives you an idea or two.

Nyman's said...

I am a huge fan of naps Huntyr is almost 4 and I still put him down everyday. I can't put him down late or our nights are crappy just like you said. Right after lunch when his tummy is full and he is a bit tired from lunch. Once you start don't stop, just like the other comments routine is key. Even if he just lays in his bed for the first part just to rest, the sleeping will come right along with it.

Landon and Dana said...

Hey AriAnna! SO my baby is not that old yet, but i have been reading some sleeping books to help get me ready. My sisters and some other gals i know recommended Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is wonderful. From what i remember it talk about earlier naps and earlier bedtimes to fix almost any sleeping problem. My sister has used their methods and seriously has the best sleeping kids now. I think it is all about being regular from what i can tell, even if it takes sacrificing plans for the week and being strict about it. I don't have much experience yet though! GOod luck!

tysonandmandimoser said...

Good luck with this. After 2 kids I still have yet to figure this out. No matter what I do with my almost 4 year old he has NEVER been a good sleeper neither day or night. Good Luck and sorry no advice from me, but I look forward to reading other comments in hopes for some ideas.