Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More canning

So for those of you who read my blog post about my first canning experience you know that it was only by the services of one very nice woman that I leaned the beginner skills. Well this is part 2 of the story, see I went to go return all of the stuff I borrowed from her and thank her when she told me to take all the stuff back home because she had a ton of Fugi apples and pears for me to do next! YIKES!!!! You should have seen all the boxes she gave me of fresh fruit from her orchard!!! Yes people gave is the right word this woman is wonderful and I feel so blessed! Then as I was about to leave she said wait, "you will need this machine to make your apple sauce" Wow, I took one look at that and thought maybe there is an easier way to do this but you know what I don't know any different so 12 cans later I kind of started to feel as thought I was a true pioneer!!! What a blessing this has been for me to learn such a neat skill, my only hope is that it all tastes good! 12 bottles down ??????? on how many I have yet to do!!!!


This machine may be over 50 years old but it got the job done!

Yes, that is 12 cans of hand churned apple sauce! Whoo Hoo

3 comments:

SuperMama said...

I just watched Good Eats about canning and I said to myself "I should know how to do this already since I'm mormon!" I'm glad that you've started and now I have the bug! Keep posting so I can have a reference :)

Brock and Tyra said...

nice job with the hand crank. i was going to use a blender...Hope it works!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh, I have nightmares about that machine from my childhood! =)

Actually, I absolutely LOVE canning - I think because it reminds me of long afternoons with my mom and then my grandma in college. In fact, we just ate a soup tonight from a soup-base that I canned with my mom last year!

Go you! I can't believe you did so much - I seriously haven't attempted applesauce since I was like 8 years old! You are hard core!